Love. Listen/Observe/Read. Act. Repeat.

Friday, August 17, 2012

It's 10 o'clock

Michael has moved into his apartment at TCU and Paige is packing. Tomorrow Paige and I hop in the pick-up and drive her back to Iowa for her sophomore year.

Summer ends again, tonight.

I tried not to cry when she started kindergarten. She's my youngest, but for years she had watched her older brothers go off to school. Even though she went to nursery school three mornings a week, she was so ready that day she went to kindergarten. She just bounded out of the car like her brothers and headed confidently to her classroom. She was big. How could I cry?

Sunday morning, we'll move her into a new room, although in the same dormitory as last year. She's out of her living-learning community, but the bonds between her and fellow writers from last year are strong. They are already trying to figure out how they can find a house to share by next year.

She may not even come home next summer. I'm mindful of that. I didn't come home after my freshman year. We're starting to collect things she will need to live in her first home away from home.

She's big.

How can I cry?




1 comment:

  1. She will always be your baby. Crying is a mother's right, our heart just leaks a little through our eyes. Tears of love, pride, but also a sense of loss. One thing I can say for certain is that I never really lost my babies when they grew up, I just gained two new friends.

    ReplyDelete